I'm Looking For

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is considered an International Student?

A: Non-citizens of Pakistan enrolled at an institution of education outside their home country.

Q: Who are Overseas Students?

A: Expatriates/ Non-resident Pakistani students crossing borders for the specific purpose of studying in Pakistan.

Q: What does UMT offer for International Students?

A: UMT has a lot to offer - from international degree courses to exchange programs, cultural trips, mentoring programs, summer and winter schools. Please visit our page to find out more: oin.umt.edu.pk

Q: How do I apply for a course?

A: Applications to UMT are submitted using an online application form, which can be found on the web page of the Office of Admissions. Before submitting your application, please familiarize yourself with the Application Guide on the Admissions website and portal. For more information, please visit http://oin.umt.edu.pk/international-students.aspx

Q: Does UMT offer conditional admission?

A: Yes, UMT offers conditional admission to international students, who meet our academic requirements (eligibility, test/interview) but do not have equivalency documents or final degree is awaited.

Q: What are the language requirements for admission? 

A: If you intend to study at UMT, you need to fulfill all requirements for the program you apply for. This means that all documents proving all required qualifications, including the language skills, have to be submitted to UMT by the end of the designated deadline. If you are unable to prove sufficient language skills by then, we will have to reject your application. 

Following documents can prove language skills

  1. IELTS
  2. TOFEL
  3. English Proficiency Letter from your last institution (school/college/university)

Q: How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

A: The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years.

Q: What do I have to consider before applying online?

A: Starting an online application without having access to the required documents or grades is not advisable. We strongly advise you to find out all about the specific requirements for your desired degree program before you apply. 

Q: Can the application fee be waived off?

A: No, we do not waive the UMT application fee for international students except in very rare circumstances.

Q: What Grade Point Average (GPA) or Percentage do I need for UMT?

A: The offer of admission is based on several factors and the grades only play a certain part however, almost all undergraduate programs at UMT, a minimum requirement of 45% in your A level/FA/FSC/High School or equivalent. For graduate programs, a minimum of 2.5/4.0 CGPA or 50% in the case of annual system.

All applicants who complete the admission process successfully receive an offer of admission. Percentages vary from program to program and for more details on the eligibility criteria please click here.

Q: Are international students required to take the SAT or ACT?

A: Admission test is mandatory for all students. The international student applying for admission can either appear for UMT admission test or submit SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE scores if available. Admission is granted through holistic review of admission test score and past academic record.

Q: What is the purpose of an Aptitude Test?

A: The purpose of the aptitude test is to evaluate your suitability for the desired degree program based on certain criteria (e.g. certain subject-specific grades from your university entrance qualification. Online test would be arranged in case student is out of the country. Provision of online test needs to be approved before the test date.

Q: I have submitted my application online. What happens next?

A: You will receive an email confirmation once application is submitted. After review of application for eligibility, you will be given a date for test/interview. If admitted you will get Admission Offer Letter by Office of Admissions and will be shared at the mailing address you provided in your application.

Q: Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

A: Yes, International Student Orientation helps students with their transition to the UMT and is required. Also, university/department orientation is mandatory to attend for all international students.

Q: Who can apply for UMT scholarships?

A: All students eligible for admission to University of Management and Technology are eligible to apply for the scholarships.

Q: Are there any exclusive scholarships for international students?

A: UMT offers multiple scholarships especially for international students. Please visit the page to learn more (https://oin.umt.edu.pk/Scholarships-and-Financial-Assistance.aspx).

Q: Can international students apply for financial assistance?

A: UMT offers many scholarships and financial assistance for international students. Financial assistance for international students is available through ILM fund offered by UMT. Students can apply by submitting an application to Participant Relation Section.

Q: When should I apply for a scholarship?

A: The ideal time is to apply with admission application.

Q: Can international students apply for general university scholarships?

A: International students can also apply for general university scholarships through the Office of Registrar.

Q: What programs or degree courses can I study at UMT?

A: UMT offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate programs. Please Visit our pages for more info.

Q: When does the semester start? When are the semester breaks?

A: UMT offers two semesters in a calendar year; Spring and Fall. The Academic Calendar can be viewed for further information regarding semester break and other public holidays.


Q: What documents do I have to provide?

A: The type and number of documents required for the application depend on your background and the degree course you apply for. You can find the list of documents required to get admission to UMT here.

Q: How and when do I submit my documents online?

A: Documents can be submitted using the online admissions portal. Within the specified deadline, you need to submit your online application and upload all documents for admission.

Q: What is an equivalence certificate?

A: An Equivalence certificate certifies your international degrees with Pakistani education system. It is a requirement of the Higher Education of Pakistan before a degree can be issued.

Q: Where can I obtain the equivalence certificate?

A: For equivalence of High school/A levels/Intermediate documents please contact IBCC.

For equivalence of Undergraduate/Graduate/Post-Graduate documents please contact HEC. Please for further details, read more the equivalence section

Q: What fees do I have to pay at UMT?

A: All International students are to pay fee applicable as mentioned on webpage of Office of Internationalization. To find out more about the amount and mode of payment, visit our fee structure webpage.

Q: What is the deadline for paying the fees?

A: Your fee should be paid at earliest after acceptance of admission offer by UMT and email intimation of dues. Only after our records reflect full payment, your enrolled will be confirmed at UMT and you’ll gain student status.

Q: What is the tuition fee payment schedule?

A: The tuition fee is paid quarterly in UMT. The deadline to pay tuition fee for each quarter is fixed as March 10, June 10, September 10, and December 10. The details can also be viewed at  Office of Registrar.

Q: Is the admission fee refundable?

A: Admission and library fee PKR 25000/- is non-refundable/non-transferable and will be charged with 1st installment.

Q: How to register the course(s)?

A: The participants are required to log in at online.umt.edu.pk for registration of their courses during the Pre-registration or Add/Drop period.

Q: What if login is unsuccessful at Students Portal (online.umt.edu.pk)?

A: Participants may reset the password using the option available on the login page of the Students Portal or receive/reset their passwords through IPC lab staff at [email protected].

Q: Can semester extension be allowed?

A: For Undergraduate programs, a maximum of 4 semesters can be extended and for Graduate level programs a maximum of two semesters can be allowed, subject to the condition that the program's maximum duration is not exhausted.

Q: How can a participant change his/her degree program?

A: Participants can change their existing degree program at the time of admission provided that seats are available and he/she fulfills the eligibility requirements of the new program. Participants can then submit a duly approved program change form (sign & stamped by the concerned Chairman of Department) and clearance form at least two weeks before the commencement of classes. The registrar office will issue a new ID after examining all documents and will also block the previous ID.

Q: How do I apply for Student Visa?

A: Please click here to apply for student visa. For further details, please visit the visa and travel section.

Q: Will the University assist me with the student visa application?

A: International students are advised to apply for student visa according to the guidelines provided here. Office of internationalization at UMT will facilitate with issuance of No Obligation Certificate (NOC) from Higher Education Commission of Pakistan and admission/bonafide letter from UMT which needs to be submitted alongside visa application.

For more details, please visit the Visa and Travel section.

Q: Do I need Health Insurance?

A: Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance. For further details and how to avail UMT Health Insurance, please email on: [email protected]

Q: What facilities are provided to students in UMT Student Housing (USH)?

A: UMT student dorms are provided on single/twin/tri-sitter rooms with all necessary provisions (laundry, messing, internet, room furniture, transport, electricity (other than cooler/AC). More can be viewed by visiting the link https://www.umt.edu.pk/uhs/home.aspx

Q: What furniture is available in the room?

A:  A cupboard, a bed and a mattress.

Q: Can I view the accommodation before booking?

A: Hostel staff can arrange to show you available accommodations. You can send us a viewing request via email on: [email protected]

Q: Do you offer accessible accommodation?

A: Generally, our hostels are located within a 10-mile radius and provide easy access to the University. Differently abled students should contact the University's Student Housing Team for help in choosing appropriate accommodation and to arrange a visit.

Q: Is the campus wheelchair friendly?

A: The University has a variety of facilities available to students requiring wheelchairs and to those having hearing and sight difficulties.

Q: Who can avail UMT Housing facility?

A: We offer accommodation to International students including students in undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs. Any student having active registration and student ID can avail UMT Housing facility. You can download the UMT Student Housing (UHS) admission forms from the link.

Q: What do I need to bring with me?

A: The dorms are provided with cupboard, bed and a mattress. You are advised to bring your bedding, towels, desk lamp and items of personal use. You can install air conditioner, air cooler, fridge, microwave and other appliances by discussing with the Hostel Warden. 

Q: Do hostels have WIFI?

A: All our halls of residence have wireless internet access WIFI. The high-speed network is accessible from all dorms and communal areas. Like any service, there are rules and regulations in place to ensure that students use the Internet legally and responsibly.

Q: What extracurricular activities are available?

A: Students can play volleyball, badminton, table tennis, chess and carom on campus. The authorities of UMT Student Housing (USH) organize different events for the residents such as debate competitions, mini sports welcome party, etc.

Q: What is the process of leaving the UMT Student Housing (USH)?

A: Before leaving the UMT Student Housing (USH) on a semester break, the student will inform the Warden, OIN team and handover keys. At the time of leaving the university permanently, the student will need to get clearance from UHS and return room keys to the Warden.

Q: What are the security arrangements in the UMT Student Housing (USH)?

A: 24 hours of security is available at UMT Student Housing (USH).

Q: Can I go outside UMT Student Housing (USH) after 12:00 am?

A: Students are not allowed to stay outside the hostel after 11pm. In case of emergency, you are advised to inform the Deputy Head, UMT Student Housing (USH) about the problem.

Q: What are the rules for using transport?

A: Students need to obtain shuttle service cards and pay fee regularly. Students also need to display their shuttle service cards while travelling. For queries about schedule and routes, please contact Amjad Butt: 0300-4419045 UAN: 042 111 300 200 - EXT 3773

Q: What is the penalty for disciplinary violations?

A: In the case of disciplinary violation, Students Disciplinary Committee may recommend one or more of the following:

  1. Fine: up to Rs.50,000/-
  2. Cancellation of scholarship
  3. Suspension: for one or more semesters
  4. Expulsion from the University

For more information about fines and violations please click here.

Q: How can I contact the Office of Internationalization?

A: If you have a question that has not been covered here, you can contact the Office of Internationalization in UMT.

Our opening hours are Mon-Fri, 9 am - 6 pm. 

Tel.: +92 42 35212801-10 Ext: 3330

Fax: +92 42 35184789

Email: [email protected] 

We aim to respond to all queries within 1-2 working days.

Q: What is a student exchange program?

A: Student Exchange Program is a program that allows UMT students to spend one or two semesters at our partner universities abroad. Students will be able to take courses in a regular semester with credit transfer opportunity. This program is offered to both undergraduate and graduate students.

Q: Why is student exchange a good idea?

A: Studying abroad often gives a new and broader perspective to your own field of study from foreign faculty at university abroad. The exchange period will improve your language, confidence, and intercultural communication skills. You will make new friends, gain experiences, and become familiar with a different culture.

Q: Can a virtual student experience enhance career readiness?

A: Cultural awareness and cultural competencies are essential in today’s workplace. Society is becoming increasingly multicultural, where people from different cultural backgrounds live and work together. Technology makes it possible for people in different places in the world to meet and share online. Virtual Exchanges introduce students to desirable workforce skills, such as: intercultural communication, adaptability, the ability to appreciate different perspectives, teamwork skills, as well as technology and digital competencies.

Q: Why I should consider virtual student exchange program?

A: Helping students develop intercultural competence (skills that facilitate effective and appropriate interactions with people from other cultures) is critically important for higher education. Virtual student exchange represents an effective approach to developing these skills through intentional online academic collaboration with peers around the world.

Q: Which universities are on the list of Partner institutions?

A: University of Management and Technology has signed academic agreements with various universities and institutions from different parts of the world. You can find the list of partner universities and institutions here.

Q: Where can I go for student exchange?

A: UMT students can travel for student/exchange in all partner universities e.g USA, China, Turkey, Malaysia, United Kingdom, Philippines, Germany, Cyprus, France, etc. The exact available exchange programs opportunities may vary each semester/year and is advertised through web and email.

Q: Who can avail this opportunity?

A: All (undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate) degree students of University of Management and Technology with exceptional progress in studies are eligible for student exchange. You can go on exchange after you have completed one year (Two Semesters) of academic studies.

International students from partner universities are also eligible for exchange semester under the recommendation of liaison office in the partner institutions.

Q: How many credits hours/courses do I need to get while on exchange? What is the minimum?

A: Students are expected to make progress in their studies also during the exchange. The students should follow the host university’s instructions and regulations on matters such as the minimum number of courses.

Q: A certain GPA/average is required for the exchange application – How do I know what is my GPA?

A: Minimum GPA/average required for exchange application depends on the requirements of the host institutions. The requirements are always mentioned in email sent to participants for each exchange opportunity. For details, please visit webpage of OIN regularly. Generally, students with CGPA 3.5 or above are preferred for student exchange program.

Q: How long are the exchange periods?

A: The duration of an exchange is normally one semester or full academic year (two semesters). The precise duration and timing of the exchange program will be determined by the schedule of the host university. You should note that the start and end dates of semesters may differ from those of your home university.

Q: how do I apply for exchange?

A: Applying for an exchange program is a two-stage process. In the first stage, you apply for exchange at your home university, i.e. you apply to become candidate for an exchange program at the university. For out-bound exchange program, the applications are submitted to Office of Internationalization (OIN) located in the central building of main campus.

For the in-bound exchange program, students who want to study at UMT for exchange will submit their application at the respective office at the partner university.

In first phase, the shortlisted applicants are interviewed and finalists/accepted applicants can then apply to host university. Every partner university has a different process for second-stage applications, and the applicants chosen in the first application stage will receive university and programme-specific instructions for the second stage.

Q: What level of English language skills do I need for exchange program?

A: Becoming an exchange student, requires good English language skills. Most courses are available in English at host university for exchange program.

you should have good English comprehension and communication skills to cope up in the class. It is also advised that to study the language of the country of visit before going on exchange, whether to learn the basics of a new language or to reactivate previously learned skills.

Q: Will an official language test result (TOEFL, IELTS) be required for the exchange application?

A: You should carefully read the call for application for language proficiency eligibility at partner university or exchange program. Official language test results are normally not required from students participating from institutions where medium of instruction is English Language. However, there might be exceptions to this rule. You can submit English proficiency letter authorized by the institute as an evidence of English language skill. You can also submit official language test result (TOEFL, IELTS) If available.

Q: How much fee do I have to pay when studying abroad?

A: The students participating in the university’s exchange programmes (with the exception of the certain programss) are exempted from tuition fee at partner universities. The students are required to cover the accommodation and costs of living on their own, and these costs naturally vary by destination. Additional costs include travel, food, insurance, and other such matters.

Q: Do I have to pay separate tuition fee at UMT and partner university?

A: UMT students going on exchange program only continue to pay their respective semester program fee at UMT. No additional tuition fee is charged from UMT students at the partner university during the tenure of exchange program.

Timely submission of semester dues at UMT while on student exchange program is mandatory for the student participating in that program. Failing to do so can lead to fine of late submission fee and cancellation of student exchange program.

Q: Can I cancel my exchange?

A: You may cancel your exchange for a weighty reason before travelling to the partner university. Withdrawal from exchange program during the semester due to unforeseeable emergency should timely be informed to the concerned involved. You should think about whether exchange studies suit your current phase in studies and situation in life before applying.

Q: Can I apply, complete, and if I get selected, decide not to participate in the program?

A: This is very discouraging. You should apply only if you are seriously interested in participating in the program and have the support and permission of the whole family. Since we do not charge any fee for the application, it will increase our costs in the application and examination process if the applicant is not serious about participating in the program.

Q: Where can I read testimonials written by previous exchange students?

A: You can read feedback by previous exchange students on webpage of Office of Internationalization (OIN).

Q: What kind of insurance is required for the exchange period?

A: Students going on exchange must have a comprehensive insurance that is valid for the full exchange period. It is a good idea to contact your insurance company to find out the most suitable solution for you. The insurance should cover the most serious situations such as ambulance flights.

Travel insurance gives protection in case of illness, damage, interruption or cancellation of the journey, accident, or missed departure. Luggage insurance, which covers theft/breakage/delay of the luggage, can be connected to the travel insurance. Travel liability insurance covers situations in which the traveller has caused damage to others. Legal expenses travel insurance covers advocacy and legal expenses.

Q: Do I need to apply for a student visa?

A: Student visas are a big question for those who want to know how to study abroad, though not all international students will need one. If you’re an EU citizen planning to study in another EU country, for instance, you don’t need a visa.

However, as a rule of thumb, if you come from outside of your chosen country’s geographical region/continent, you will probably need to apply for a student visa. This usually only applies to longer periods of international study; if you’re participating in a shorter exchange, last three months or less, a tourist or visitor visa may suffice. It is the responsibility of each student to apply for visa on his/her own. OIN does not have any responsibility in this regard.

Q: How do I apply for student exchange?

A: Student exchange programs are regularly advertised to the UMT participants. Please read your emails carefully.

Q: What support will I get while overseas?

A: If you encounter problems, our OIN team and our partner organization will be able to guide and support you through the issue. Our staff will be in regular contact with our partner organization to coordinate and support your experience.

Q: What documentation should I submit with my application?

A: You may be asked to provide some supporting documentation as part of your application. Once again, requirements vary depending on the country and university, but international students are often asked to provide the following:

  • Passport photos for identification
  • Application form from OIN
  • Previous semester transcripts
  • Student Identity Card Copy
  • Passport Copy

Q: Where will I live during my study abroad program?

A: All If this is not the case, you will need to find your own accommodation.

Q: What is the penalty for disciplinary violations?

A: In the case of disciplinary violation, Students Disciplinary Committee may recommend one or more of the following for all the students who come for exchange to UMT.

  1. Fine: up to Rs.50,000/-
  2. Cancellation of scholarship
  3. Suspension: for one or more semesters
  4. Expulsion from the University

For out-bound student, disciplinary actions would be taken by respective office at the host university.


Q: What is faculty exchange program?

A: The faculty exchange program is to provide participants with the opportunity to teach or conduct research for one semester or an academic year at an overseas university. Faculty members would benefit from exposure to a culturally varied and diverse faculty make-up, with an opportunity to exchange ideas and observe a variety of styles.

Q: How many foreign universities have exchange programs with UMT for faculty members? 

A: OIN has more than 40 international agreements with universities and institutes around the world. Please visit the Faculty Exchange tab to find out more details about opportunities regarding In-bound and out-bound faculty exchange programs. 

Q: Am I limited to exchange with UMT partner institutions?

A: It is preferable to plan an exchange program with an established partner institution. However, if you have an opportunity for an exchange elsewhere, contact the Office of Internationalization (OIN) to discuss what arrangements are possible. 

Q: What would I be expected to do during an exchange?

A: Faculty members are expected to teach one to three courses in a semester at the host university (overseas/ UMT) or engage in a specified research project during the period of their exchange. In a staff exchange, UMT staff members are paired with their counterparts at the partner institution and work on collaborative projects that will benefit both schools and enhance the relationship for future exchanges. 

Q: What would be the medium of teaching at the host university?

A: English being the official language of Pakistan and UMT, you shall teach in the English language at the University of Management and Technology. In outbound faculty exchange cases, facilitation of teaching in the English language is arranged for guest faculty members. 

Q: What is the typical length of an exchange visit?

A: The length of a faculty exchange is generally one academic semester. The minimum exchange period for both faculty and staff is also possible and last typically for four weeks.

Q: Must there be a simultaneous exchange of personnel?

A: No, a simultaneous faculty member exchange is not necessary.

Q: Do I need to take a sabbatical or leave of absence?

A: All full-time teaching faculty members, after completing seven years with UMT, are eligible for sabbatical leave. Only full-time employment will be counted toward the seven years requirement. 

Q: How can I go on study leave?

A: Full-time faculty members who have served full-time for at least three years at UMT may apply for study leave.

Q: Can I get financial benefits during study leave?

A: During study leave, the UMT faculty member will be granted a scholarship allowance equal to 50 percent of his/her last drawn basic salary besides legally sanctioned benefits the faculty member would only be entitled to life insurance and indoor medical facility. In-bound Faculty members from the host university can get benefits according to his/her university requirements.

Q: How do I apply for housing during the faculty exchange?

A: Ideally, arrangements of accommodation/housing for exchange participants houses can be made through the host university abroad on or off-campus. Discuss housing options with the Office of Internationalization staff and former faculty or staff exchange participants for a better idea. You are also free to make your own arrangements. Any housing expense is the responsibility of the exchange participant. 

Q: How remuneration takes place during the faculty exchange program?

A: The payment per semester course can be decided and acknowledged before the visit according to the mutual pre-visit agreement. 

During the exchange period, the UMT faculty member will continue to receive salary, pension contributions, and benefits from UMT.

Faculty members visiting UMT will continue to receive salary and benefits from their own institution and will not be eligible for any relocation expenses reimbursement from UMT.

Q: What is the process for faculty exchange? 

A: OIN advertises via email for a faculty exchange program opportunity at a partner university. The faculty member selects the university he/she wants to go on an exchange. Faculty will be required to take approval from the UMT higher authorities. 

OIN will share complete details regarding accommodation, living, and local traveling in the university/country with the faculty member. The faculty member is expected to complete all required documents.

Q: How can I apply for a visa and travel?

A: You will be able to apply for a visa once you are selected by the host university. A passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay during the exchange program is usually needed for the visa. The faculty member will process his/her application for a visa on his/her own.


What is the Office of International Office (OIN)?

The Office of Internationalization (OIN) is devoted to offer variety of services and support for international students, faculty and students exchange programs, international collaborations and scholarships etc.

What types of scholarships are available?

UMT offers variety of scholarships for the International students ranging from partial scholarships which cover some tuition fee, full scholarships which cover full waiver of tuition fee during your studies. The majority of scholarships cover tuition fees waiver only, leaving students to cover other living expenses. The major six scholarships for international students are mentioned below:

  1. Afghan Youth Scholarship
  2. Khurram Murad Scholarship
  3. OIC Scholarship
  4. Palestine Youth Scholarship
  5. Erdogan Scholarship
  6. Merit Scholarship

What are my chances of gaining a scholarship?

Scholarships depend on outstanding academic records, and the financial status of the applicant.

Where do I go to find scholarship opportunities?

To find out details of the scholarships visit OIN website. http://oin.umt.edu.pk/Scholarships-for-International-Students.aspx

How do I know if I am eligible to apply?

The details of eligibility criteria for admission and scholarship are mentioned in International Student section at website.

Can I get a scholarship for graduate study?

It depends on your level of study as there are different scholarship opportunities available here. Some scholarship schemes are open to all students whereas there ar certain scholarships dedicated for certain countries students including Turkey, Afghanistan, Palestine and other OIC member states.

What should I submit with my scholarship application?

You can send all your academic documents including transcripts, mark detail sheets and Passport to the email mentioned below.

[email protected]

When is the best time to apply for scholarships?

For fall admissions and scholarships for international students the details are mentioned on academic calendar of UMT.

What is the medium of instruction at UMT>

The medium of instruction in UMT is English.

Why should I choose to study in UMT?

There’s a reason why UMT hosts the most international students. It’s an amazing place to live and study. UMT is located in the heart of Lahore city.

Whom should I contact for further queries?

If you have any further queries about scholarship programs, admissions please contact OIN Team through email or phone number. Email: [email protected]
WhatsApp +92 3314945955
Call Us. +92 42 35212801

Does UMT have collaboration with foreign universities?

UMT has several MoUs with the foreign Universities for collaboration in research, faculty & students exchange.

Is UMT a Charted University?


Yes, it is a chartered University and recognized by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC). Click here https://www.umt.edu.pk/charter.aspx to see the Charter.

Is UMT in the QS or THE Rankings?

Yes, QS has ranked UMT among the top 451-500 Asian Universities and #110 in QS Southern Ranking. UMT also secured 1 st position in the private sector Universities in Pakistan as per the Times Higher Education (THE) Ranking 2023.

Emergency Helpline